Tuesday, July 15, 2008

she's mighty mighty

Why are contractors so unreliable? I don't just mean general contractors but plumbers, electricians, etc. I can't tell you how many people have cancelled on us, just not shown up or just not followed up with estimates after coming out!(???) How do they stay in business? And why bother coming at all if you're not going to send an estimate? Waste of time.

phew.

Anyway, we are now vine free. The only success we've had in hiring anyone came in the form of roofers. They showed up (I know AMAZING!) and have so far cleared off all of the remaining vines that we could not reach. Even the chimneys are visible!
They're not starting any of the actual roofing stuff until Friday. Nevertheless, the house already looks better and we've been getting many compliments on the progress. As a matter of fact, I hear we're the "talk of the neighborhood." Now we only have to live up to everyone else's expectations. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Hi there!! I came to your blog from a comment you left on mine.

    WOW! Your house is amazing! Congratulations. :) Your house is at a place right now where mine was 2 years ago, and I'm still overloaded with projects, but I keep on moving forward.

    I totally hear you on the contractors nonsense. We went through 4 plumbers trying to get one bathroom done! We still haven't managed to get a roofer to show up and actually make repairs (even after giving us a quote), so a lot of things just keep getting put off.

    I figure the house has been standing for 125 years, so a few more years of neglecting certain things aren't going to kill it. Right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna,
    Thanks for stopping by!
    I've been having a really good experience with the roofers that we hired. I don't know if he does work in the Newburgh area but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask? We're using Flag Roofing (718-980-4500) in SI - ask for Ben. They have been very reliable and given the weather we've been having, they've been working extremely hard!
    We're hoping to get our house in livable condition soon - hearing that yours was once in similar condition is really encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice hair cut. before, it looked like a hairy one-eyed monster, and now it looks more like... a house!!

    ReplyDelete